Tuesday, August 30, 2011

One week down...

...and what a week it was.

Currently I'm taking a break from a mound of Special Ed paperwork - more on that later.

First, a bit about my particular teaching situation.  After teaching English for 5 years at the middle and high school level, I am now teaching Special Education at a Disciplinary Alternative Ed. Program. Our students get a placement of 30 days, and must complete them successfully in order to return to their home campus.  Sometimes, it can take them much longer to complete these days. 

I teach grades 6-12, all four core subjects, except for middle school social studies or science.  That means I could potentially be teaching up to 24 different courses at any given time.  Currently, I have two high school students and half a dozen middle schoolers.  It's a big district, so I get students from five different high schools and twelve different middle schools.  And did I mention that I'm the ONLY 6-12th grade Special Ed teacher at my school?  I have teacher aides who handle all of my content mastery support (which is a pull-out program for students who only need minimal help), and I do all of the modified or fundamentals classes.  It's a lesson planning nightmare. 

The upside?  Job security.  At least I hope so....


No comments:

Post a Comment